Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping
From Linsey Johnson
Author: Jane Maynard
Recipe type: Main Dish, Poultry
- 2 to 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or about 6-7 boneless, skinless thighs)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½″ pieces
- 3 celery stalks, peeled and cut into ½″ pieces
- 2 potatoes, cut into small cubes
- />1 cup frozen baby peas (uncooked)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp. each: fresh rosemary and thyme, chopped finely
- freshly ground black pepper
- salt (add last to adjust to taste)
- 3 cups (or so) chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- Buttermilk Biscuit dough (you can also use purchased biscuit dough, phyllo dough or puff pastry dough)
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool. Add the carrots, celery, potatoes, and onion to the stock. Cook the veggies until just tender. Strain the veggies from the stock with a colander over a large bowl (reserve the stock) and place them in a 9″ by 13″ baking dish. When the chicken is cooled enough to handle, shred with your hands–but don’t make the pieces too small. Evenly distribute the chicken over the veggies. Sprinkle the frozen peas over everything.
- Add the butter to the saucepan and melt it until it foams. Add the flour and cook while stirring with a wooden spoon for about 1 minute. Add the milk and the reserved stock. Switch to a whisk to remove any lumps. You may need to add more milk to get it to the right consistency. It should be a little thinner than gravy. Add the herbs and the pepper. Taste to see if it needs salt. Pour the gravy evenly over the chicken and vegetables.
- Prepare the Buttermilk Biscuits with 1 cup buttermilk. Drop evenly over the chicken and veggies. Place in the oven and bake at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden and the filling is bubbling.