Chocolate Chip Amish Puff Cookies
Author: Jane Maynard
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup softened unsalted butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon (Jane note – I used way less cinnamon than this, maybe ½ – 1 tsp)
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugars on medium speed for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix until combined. Add the flour mixture, and mix on low speed just until combined. Cover dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Stir in the chocolate chips. (Jane note – I stirred in the chocolate chips BEFORE I chilled the dough.)
- Combine cinnamon and sugar in a bowl. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line several cookies sheets with parchment paper. Roll tablespoon-sized balls of dough in the cinnamon sugar and place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through, until golden brown. Cool cookie sheets on wire racks.