JANE’S PULLED PORK
Modified from Emily’s Texas Pulled Pork
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 C bottled bbq sauce (I look for ones that are “sweet” – like “sweet & tangy”, etc)
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 can (4.5 oz) diced green chiles
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 t ground cumin
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- 3 T brown sugar
- 2 shakes of cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 lb well-trimmed boneless pork loin roast
1. Mix sauce ingredients in a slow cooker. Add pork then spoon sauce over pork just to cover.
2. cover cooker and cook on high 3-4 hours or on low 8-10 hours until pork is fork tender. Shred pork in the sauce with two forks. Serve topped with coleslaw on sandwich roll of your choice (kaiser is always a sure bet).
If you’re running short on time, Costco sells a pre-cooked smoked pulled pork (sans sauce) that is very good. Just sauté the onions in a large pot over medium heat until soft, add the rest of the sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer. Heat the meat as indicated on the package, then add to the sauce and simmer 10-15 minutes.