When I had Cate, a friend who gave us dinner also brought a big stack of paper plates, which ended up being one of the best baby presents we received! We made sure this time around we had some paper plates and plastic cups in stock. This is a must for any family with a new baby…it is SO NICE not having to worry about dishes, especially when people are bringing you food and you don’t have to cook either!
I went out to the playground the other day and was talking with my friend Emily, who was bringing us dinner that night. We were talking about meals that we make for people. She said I should do a post about the topic, so here we are!
What’s your “go-to” meal when you have to take dinner to someone? Here’s mine…and I’ve gotta say, it’s pretty awesome for the giver AND the givee.
Jane’s Dinner That She “Makes” When Someone Has a Baby:
- Costco Chicken (at $4.99, it’s a steal..plus it’s delicious)
- Mashed potatoes – I make these myself – it’s the only thing I have to cook on the menu!
- Gravy – I either make gravy using juice in the Costco chicken container and some broth, or I swing by Boston Market and buy a container of gravy
- Bag of microwaveable veggies from Trader Joe’s
- French bread/Rolls from Trader Joe’s
- Bucket of Trader Joe’s mini chocolate chip cookies
For those of you who don’t have Trader Joe’s, you could easily substitute similar products from another gorcery store. Here’s why this meal is awesome for taking to people.
1) No dishes to return. The potatoes are the only item that need a container. I just put them in a disposable ziploc tupperware thingy.
2) Good food. Most people like this assortment of food, it tastes pretty homemade and it isn’t spicy for nursing mothers.
3) Low cost. It’s not expensive for the giver.
4) Easy. Not much cooking involved, and it’s easy to double up to have dinner for yourself the same night.
Leftover potential is another thing to consider…this is one aspect that my meal plan falls a bit short on. When Cate was born we received a homemade lasagna that was not only delicious, but froze well into individual servings…it was so nice to have that yummy lasagna waiting for us in the freezer when we needed it!
Now it’s time for you to share your great ideas!