It’s Memorial Day weekend, which means BBQs and picnics galore! Reader Kiasa emailed asking me for some picnic ideas, specifically:
- Not-so-typical sandwiches
- Salads sans mayo
- Desserts that travel well
Here are a few of my ideas…and please leave a comment with your own ideas! If you have specific recipes for the above, that would be great, but I’m sure Kiasa (and everyone else) would love any great picnic ideas you might have!
My ideas are yummy yummy, but I’m also suggesting things that are easy to prep and carry. I’m all about EASY.
- Caprese Sandwich: Slice a baguette, sprinkle with a bit of olive oil (not too much so you don’t get soggy). Top with sliced fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, sliced tomatoes, salt & pepper.
- Turkey Boursin Baguette: Slice a baguette, spread with Boursin cheese, top with sliced pepper turkey and leaf of romaine lettuce (or spinach for more vitamin punch)
SALAD SANS MAYO
- Alfredo Tortellini Salad: My friend made this for an outdoor party once and it was AWESOME. She used jarred Alfredo sauce from Trader Joe’s, cheese tortellini (cook & drain), sliced and cooked zucchini, mushrooms and onions. Mix all together and serve cold. You could throw in whatever vegetables you like!
DESSERTS THAT TRAVEL WELL
- Chocolate Oatmeal Coconut Cookies: I know, cookies don’t seem all that inspired, however these cookies are AMAZING and cookies travel well, so it fits the bill!
Time for your Perfect Picnic ideas!