My friend Melissa invited the girls and me over for lunch last Friday. It was wonderful! The table was set beautifully and the food, oh the food. I suppose pretty much anything is a step above my usual PB & honey sandwich. But this lunch was probably a million steps above that. It was a real treat. Cate gobbled up the salad. That’s really saying something when a 3-year-old will eat SALAD.
Melissa was kind enough to share the recipes with me. Enjoy!
- 12 ounce package cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 medium jalapeño
- 1 bunch green onions
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- juice and zest of a lemon
Blend in food processor and chill for a couple of hours to allow flavors to marinade. For a twist, serve salsa over cream cheese and top with fresh cilantro.
BOOKCLUB CHICKEN SALAD
From “Favorites” by Grace Ivory Rock & Jane Ivory Metcalf
- 6-8 chicken breasts
- 8 ounces slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 bags European blend salad mix
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup raisins or craisins
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (or Feta and/or Apricot Stilton)
Cook chicken breasts for 30 minutes at 350 degrees (or in the microwave on high 4-6 mins, or until done). Cool and cut into small pieces. In a small skillet sprinkle sugar over almonds and cook over medium heat until almonds are coated and sugar has dissolved. Cool.
Mix all ingredients together and top with sweet red onion dressing.
Sweet Red Onion Dressing
makes about 1 quart
- 1/2 red onion, or less if onion is large
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable oil
Finely chop red onion in food processor (or blender). Add sugar, dry mustard, salt and vinegar and blend until frothy. Slowly add oil. Toss with salad.