We’re having tacos tonight, complete with delicious guacamole. But my avocados aren’t quite ready. Close, but not quite. Which brings us to today’s Kitchen Tip! How to speed up (and stop) the avocado ripening process!
First, tips for SPEEDING UP ripening:
- Put your avocados in a brown paper bag. The gases that ripen the avocado get stuck in the bag and help speed things up. I clip the bag closed with a Chip Clip to “seal” it.
- Store your avocados near bananas. Bananas also let off those same gases that ripen the avocado, so they can help things along.
- Today’s technique? Put the avocados in a brown paper bag WITH bananas. I’m getting desperate. I sure hope it works! I’ll let you know tonight…
What if your avocados are perfectly ripe but you don’t need them for a few more days? Here’s how to STOP ripening.
- Place avocados in the fridge. That’s it. Easy Peasy.
- In case you are wondering, putting avocados in the fridge does not hurt or change them (unlike tomatoes, which should NEVER go in the fridge).