Happy St Patrick’s Day! I had visions of turning all of our food green today, but Cate wouldn’t have it. When I offered green pancakes or oatmeal this morning she replied, “I had green eggs and ham at school and it wasn’t good. No thanks!” So much for being a fun mom.
I promised corned beef recipes, so here we go!
- 3 – 3½ lb corned beef
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 black peppercorns
- juniper berries
- seasoning packet
- brown sugar
- Rinse meat under cold water. Place in large pot – cover with 6 in cold water. Cover pot – bring water to boil. Pour off water. Put 6 in cold water back in pot. Bring to boil covered. Repeat if want less salty taste.
- Skim off scum. Add spices (p.s. I always forget to buy juniper berries, but the little spice packet that comes with the meat seems to be enough) . Lower heat, cover and simmer til very tender but still holds together, ~1 hour per pound.
- 1 or 2 point cut briskets
- large can peaches(mashed up)
- dark brown sugar
- maple syrup
- Cover the briskets with water and boil, then simmer for 3 or 4 hours. Take outta the water and save water to cook your cabbage, carrots and potatoes in. Heat oven to 425 or 450. Put brisket on a broiler pan. Mix above ingredients so they hold together as a glaze. (Add OJ last to see if too watery – and sorry there are no measurements!) Put glaze on top and baste again every 20 minutes or so. Then reduce oven to 325. Glaze some more, every 25 minutes or so, till the fat drains through the broiler pan. Total bake time is about 1-1/2 to 2 hours – a big commitment – but yummy.