I will share the following delectable soup recipe with you under one condition: You are not allowed to think about the amount of fat present in the soup when you eat it. It is worth every last calorie. That said…I wouldn’t recommend eating this soup every day. Neither would a cardiologist. But, oh my goodness, you’re going to like it.
Without further ado…the best broccoli cheese soup recipe around! Oh wait, a bit more “ado”…it’s easy to make with a short list of ingredients and quite fast. However, there is a lot of standing at the stove and whisking involved. Make sure you have some tunes or an episode of This American Life playing when you start cooking. I even do leg exercises while I whisk away…just a little preemptive strike on the butter, cream and cheese.
- ½ C butter
- ½ C flour
- 1 Quart Half & Half
- 3 C cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 C broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 pkg frozen broccoli (or 2 small heads fresh broccoli chopped into bite sized pieces)
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine broccoli, broth and salt – bring to a boil, simmer until broccoli is cooked.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat. Add flour gradually, whisking. Simmer and whisk for a few minutes. Add half & half four times, whisking constantly (make sure it gets thick before each addition of half & half).
- Add cheese.
- Add broccoli/broth/salt mixture and stir.