I received this recipe from Sarah Arnett, one of my lovely readers! She said that it’s a hit every time she serves it and I can see why. I made this soup last week and it was fantastic! And, I must admit, this was the first time I have cooked with vegetable broth. I’ve always been a bit suspect that the flavor would not be as robust, but it was. I was very pleased with the results.
Bonus – this is an EASY recipe. You’re going to love it.
Pesto Tortellini Soup
From Sarah who got it from a friend who got it from a vegetarian cookbook…we apologize to the cookbook for not knowing who you are!
- 1 small onion (Jane note: I did 1/2 a small onion)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp butter
Saute together. (Sarah note: I do it in my large soup pan to not dirty more pans than necessary. I also usually throw in a little EVOO.)
Add to pan:
- 5 C vegetable broth (you can use chicken, too)
- 1 9 oz package tortellini
Boil until tortellini is done. (Jane note: I boiled it a few minutes less than done since it continues to cook for a bit during the next step.)
- 2 C frozen mixed veggies (the baby California mix is Sarah’s fave, that’s what I used too)
Simmer until veggies are heated through.
- 1/4 C prepared pesto at the end. Garnish bowls with parmesan cheese.