I made my second successful recipe from Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast. This glazed chocolate cake was delicious! The recipe was not too complicated and made for a beautiful final product. The texture of the cake is sort of crumbly, so you think it is going to be dry. But it’s not at all – the cake is actually buttery and rich.
Glazed Chocolate Cake
From Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast
- 3/4 C unsalted butter, room temp, plus more for pan
- 3/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for pan
- 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 C sugar, plus 2 Tbsp. for whipped cream (optional)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 C sour cream
- Chocolate ganache glaze (see recipe below)
- Chocolate shavings for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter an 8-inch round cake pan; line bottom with a round of waxed or parchment paper. Butter paper; dust bottom and sides of pan with cocoa, tapping out excess.
2. Sift together cocoa, flour, baking powser, and salt. With an electric mixer on meidum-high speed, cream butter and 1 C sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the sour cream and begninng and ending with flour.
3. Spread batter in prepared pan. Tap pan firmly on countertop once to eliminated large air bubbles. (Jane note: use cake strips! I wish that I had!!) Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely (bottom side up). Set rack with cake over a rimmed baking sheet. Pour glaze over cake, letting it run over sides; spread gently with an offset spatula or table knife to coat. Let set, about 30 minutes.
4. If desired, whip cream and remaining 2 tbsp sugar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Serve cake with whipped cream and chocolate shavings (use a vegetable peeler to make your shavings).
Serves 10-12 people.
Chocolate Ganache Glaze
– 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsley chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Place chocolate in a medium bowl. In a saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Let cool until thick yet pourable, 2-3 minutes. Makes 3/4 cup.