The Kitchen Disaster contest is OVER. But before I get to results, a few lessons learned after reading ALL of your comments. Yes, I think most of these lessons we already know. But given the sheer number of disasters that were shared pertaining to one of the following topics, I think we could all use a refresher!
- Eyebrows, arm hair, bangs and eyelashes are flammable.
- Baking soda is different than baking powder. Salt is different than sugar. Garlic cloves are different than garlic bulbs. And, last but not least, powdered sugar is different than flour!
- Fire, fire and more fire. Don’t know what the lesson is. Just know there was a lot of FIRE. I recommend an extinguisher for your kitchen.
- Easy Mac requires water.
- Boxed Mac & Cheese does not require water. Okay, it does for boiling the noodles…but then a colander is highly recommended!
- Blenders have lids for a reason.
- However, blenders with hot contents will blow those lids to Kingdom Come.
- BBQs should not be placed right next to your house.
- Things can and do explode in common cooking. Eggs, potatoes, eggplants, baking soda & maple syrup, glass pans coming into contact with the opposite temperature, and, everyone’s favorite exploding kitchen item, pressure cookers!
- Water and hot oil do not mix.
- Measuring utensils ARE in fact labeled, and said labels should be used!
- Popcorn is dangerous, no matter the cooking method.
- Birds don’t eat hard-as-rock bread, either.
- Impressing boyfriends and cooking do not go hand in hand.
- When a recipe goes awry, people are often scarred for life…and never make that recipe again, no matter what!
- Metal really should not ever go in the microwave.
- Cooking a turkey is often more trouble than it’s worth.
- Kitchen disasters often result in fond family memories for years to come.
- And, the best lesson of all? If you burn your kitchen down, you get to remodel!
Surprisingly, only two stories out of the over 400 shared had to do with cutting oneself while using a knife. Although, now that I’ve said that, the knife stories will probably come pouring in!
I know you all have lives and things to do. But, for real, I picked out the very best stories for you. These stories were either the grossest, most surprising, scariest or just plain funniest of the bunch. I’m sure I’m missing some. And I did enjoy every comment I read. But, really, you HAVE to read these. Thankfully the comments are numbered, so click here to go to the original post and scroll down to these goodies.
- 10 (what’s that smell?)
- 16 (carpets don’t made good hot pads?)
- 26 (what’s the best way to clean cornstarch? certainly not this way…)
- 42 (Grandma’s wisdom)
- 61 (do fresh pies make good birthday cakes? I’ll let you decide…)
- 97 (at least wood has lots of fiber)
- 123 (milk by any other name…)
- 127 (mother’s mysterious cooking habits exposed)
- 139 (and what’s THAT smell?)
- 153 (who? me?)
- 168 (are you sure this isn’t Hollywood?)
- 172 (poison? what poison?)
- 197 (way to stab sister in the back…side)
- 204 (oh, dear, wonderful Nicole…I am so glad you’re alive to tell the tale)
- 206 (by far the grossest story shared…HANDS DOWN)
- 207 (twice baked…brownies)
- 219 (no need for iron supplements in this family)
- 243 (lessons learned from Top Chef)
- 246 (the source of the Japanese “No Dumping” Law)
- 252 (are you sure your name isn’t Charlie Chaplin?)
- 258 (will make you cry)
- 268 (do you think they really stepped away to read This Week for Dinner? or is this a case of kissing up? hmmmm…)
- 287 (who knew?!?)
- 293 (so much for diligently researching your big purchases)
- 295 (a professional confesses…it’s awful!)
- 302 (love her final line…so funny)
- 304 (who needs the fire department?)
- 309 (scary!)
- 315 (another Charlie Chaplin moment)
- 321 (other uses for soap)
- 389 (just like the fast food restaurants like to do it)
- 399 (impressive!)
- 406 (ha ha!)
Also, if you want a little insight into our family’s week last week…read #47. That’s my dear husband. Apparently he had a different kitchen disaster in mind than the one I shared.
I did think of two more disasters of my own that I have to share. The first is when I was pregnant with Cate and sick as a dog, I had made some Rice Krispie treats. It was the only thing that sounded good that night. For some reason I was moving the pyrex casserole dish I had put them in and dropped it on the hard floor. Of course it shattered. And I started SOBBING. Literally. Our friend Dave Findlay was over with Nate. They both drove to the grocery store to get me new Rice Krispies. What sweeties!
This one is definitely a confession. I put a cupcake recipe on this blog. And I put Tbsp. instead of tsp. And some poor unsuspecting soul followed what I wrote. And she had a major cupcake disaster on her hands. I fixed the recipe stat and emailed her and apologized…but never heard from her. I think she hates me. With good reason!
ALRIGHT…on to the contests. First off, I did NOT win the $3500 shopping spree. But I came in a close second, so they’re sending me a consolation prize. So, THANK YOU ALL for your wonderful comments and being so supportive and helpful!
And now, the winner of the Pampered Chef Easy Brie-zy Pizza Set is:
Melissa, who continued on with the fire theme by sharing the following: Ha! These are great! Thinking about it, all of mine involve fire! Yikes! The worst would have to be when I was in college, though. I was getting ready for class and I stuck a pop tart (I know!) in the toaster to take with me on my way out the door. I went back into the bedroom to get dressed, when I smelled something burning. Sure enough, flames were shooting out the top of my toaster. I quickly unplugged it and took it outside onto my concrete steps, where I poured a glass of water over the whole thing. Not my finest moment, but at least I didn’t burn the place down!
Congratulations, Melissa! I think you’ll really love the pizza set…I’ve heard their pizza stones are fabulous!
Thanks again to everyone who participated and took the time to share such fabulous stories!
And big thank you to The Pampered Chef for such a fun contest and great giveaway!