The other day on Facebook I asked if anyone had a biscuit recipe to share. Responses came POURING in (click here to read them). I now have more “this is the best biscuit recipe” biscuit recipes than I can shake a rolling pin at! I’ve already made two batches of biscuits. I’ll just keep it up and let you know what ends up being my favorite recipe!
So, anyway, as I was making all these biscuits, I realized I should do a post about my Tupperware rolling mat a.k.a. pastry sheet a.k.a. pastry mat. My Grandma Blomquist gave me this rolling mat when I got married. I grew up watching both she and my mom use the exact same mat. And, I have to be honest, I didn’t really use mine much until recently.
I think I always just used the countertop or one of my cutting boards when I was rolling stuff out or working with dough. But I’m discovering that the rolling mat is actually pretty awesome. Here are the various reasons that I am fast falling in love:
- The rolling mat is easier to clean up than a messy countertop, especially if you have tile counters.
- It’s bigger than a cutting board, so you have a larger working area. The surface is also textured perfectly for working with dough.
- It has measured circles and a ruler along the bottom. This is incredibly handy!
- If you own a rolling pin, it won’t take up any extra storage space – just roll it up around your rolling pin for storage.
- Every time I look at it I think of my grandma. (Okay, maybe this isn’t as helpful for you, but you can think of me thinking of my grandma and that might make you smile, right?)
There you have it. Rolling mats a.k.a. pastry sheets a.k.a. pastry mats are great!
Oh, and this biscuit recipe from Homesick Texan was pretty darn yummy! More biscuit love to come…