Ready for another awesome cookbook? If you have someone in your life who loves avocados, this is the PERFECT holiday gift for them.
First off, my friend Gaby from What’s Gaby Cooking is awesome and my little Owen is also completely smitten with her. It’s the cutest thing ever – he loves Gaby! Unfortunately for Owen, Gaby is already spoken for. For some reason he hasn’t noticed the ring on her left hand and I haven’t had the heart to break the news to him.
Gaby recently published her first cookbook Absolutely Avocados. The book is a great avocado resource, well designed, beautifully photographed and features all kinds of scrumptious avocado recipes, including a really delicious Caesar dressing that I love and, today’s featured recipe, brownies!
We need to talk about these brownies. They are DELISH. Super rich and fudgy, these brownies have a wonderful crust on top that actually stays crispy the next day. It’s like a brownie miracle. The brownies taste nothing like avocados and, by replacing half of the butter with a healthy avocado, a little bit of the guilt can be alleviated when enjoying this tasty treat.
Since it’s the Gifts & Giveaways time of year here on This Week for Dinner, you better believe we are giving away a copy of Gaby’s book!
Here is how to enter the giveaway! (Comments must be posted by Midnight PT on Tuesday, 11/26.)
- Simply leave a comment, any comment, on this post! That’s it!
- Bonus entry: Follow This Week for Dinner on Facebook and leave a separate comment telling me you did! (If you already follow, that counts!)
- Bonus entry: Follow me on Pinterest and leave a separate comment telling me you did! (If you already follow me on Pinterest, that counts!)
- Bonus entry: Follow me on Twitter and leave a separate comment telling me you did! (If you already follow me on Pinterest, that counts!)
I asked Gaby if, at any point along the way of writing her book, she got sick of avocados. She exclaimed, “Of course not! I love them!” That is one dedicated woman.
- 1 Hass avocado (4.5 ounces)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin and place the avocado flesh in the bowl of a stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix until the avocado is mashed and smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add the granulated sugar and beat until full incorporated.
- In a double boiler over simmering water, melt the butter and cocoa powder until smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the stand mixer bowl and mix until the chocolate is fully incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, followed by the espresso powder, vanilla extract and salt.
- Add the flour and mix until there are no streaks of flour showing. Stir in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes. The brownies will be dense and moist. Let cool for at least 1 hour before cutting. Dust with confectioners sugar just before serving if desired.