I have been meaning to share this “recipe” with you for a few weeks and am finally getting to it. I’m excited – it’s a good one!
Years ago Nate’s Grammy McCarthy ordered us a BLT pizza from her local pizzeria. I was skeptical, but then I had a bite. It was heavenly and so simple. All these years later I have finally tried making it at home and with great success.
I made this when my brother and his family were in town and we ate every last bite. I’m certain we could have eaten a lot more if I’d made it! I’ve made it again since and this pizza is seriously is amazing. It was even close to edging out the honey goat cheese with caramelized onions pizza as our favorite, but I think the goat cheese pizza may still be in the lead. But just barely.
BLT pizza is essentially bacon pizza topped with salad. You’ll want to eat it with a fork. And you’ll want to eat the whole thing. Fair warning.
- I use this recipe for Uncle Tony’s pizza crust and it makes 4 mediumish pizzas
- I use this pizza sauce recipe for the BLT pizza because it tastes fresh and tomato-y
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 packages bacon, cooked and then chopped (I bake mine at 400 degrees on a foil-lined sheet for about 15-20 minutes)
- 2-3 hearts of romaine lettuce, chopped
- ~3 tomatoes or a couple handfuls of grape tomatoes, chopped
- Top pizza crust with tomato sauce, bacon, then an even layer of mozzarella cheese. Bake in a 500 degree oven until crust and cheese are browned. Remove from oven.
- While pizza is cooking, toss the chopped lettuce and tomatoes with a couple spoonfuls of mayonnaise – a little mayo goes a long way, so start with less and add more if you need it. You just want to coat the veggies in a thin layer. I know, I know, the mayo thing sounds kind of weird, but TRUST ME.
- Once the pizza is out of the oven, top with the salad mixture. Cut into slices and eat!
- No exact measurements for this recipe – just go with your gut on amounts, but the above guidelines should be helpful!
- A delightful addition to the lettuce topping would be chopped avocado, making this BLTA pizza! Yum!