A few months ago I was thinking that naan bread would make a good crust for quick pizzas. I wrote it on my “to try” list and then ignored the list all summer. Then, this week, I picked up the America’s Test Kitchen magazine “6 Ingredient Recipes” (which is on newsstands now until October 20 and it’s great!) and guess what they had as one of the recipes? Naan pizza! I decided to finally get my act together and give it a try.
This past Sunday I was planning to make homemade pizza. I have really perfected the pizza-making process (not to brag or anything) and was looking forward to having pizza for dinner. (Here is my crust recipe – I will also be doing a full post about making homemade pizza soon, so keep an eye out.) But Sunday ended up being really busy as well as ridiculously hot. I simply didn’t feel like turning my oven on at 550º F for 2-3 hours. So, I broke out the naan bread and fired up the grill!
Naan bread works perfectly as a pizza crust. Following the technique below, it gets nice and crispy on the bottom but still has some chew, and it’s just so quick and easy! Making the naan pizzas on the grill worked beautifully, but I also cooked one in the oven and that worked great, too. If I had to choose I would go with the grill, but you can’t lose either way!
Naan pizzas are also a great lunch option – I made one for myself yesterday in the toaster oven and it was quick and painless!
For the record, I love my homemade crust more. But these naan pizzas are still pretty amazing and are perfect for when you need a good homemade pizza cheat!
Pizza flavors pictured: Barbecue Chicken (BBQ sauce, chicken, cheese and cilantro tossed on after cooking) and Honey Goat Cheese with Caramelized Onion
- Naan bread, plain
- Pizza toppings of your choice!
- If using a gas grill:
- Turn all burners on to high, close the cover and let preheat for 15 minutes. At that point, turn the primary burner to medium-high heat and the other burners to medium-low.
- While the grill is heating up, get all of your ingredients ready to go, including any utensils you may need (spoon for spreading sauce, tongs and/or spatula, etc).
- Clean the grate and then oil lightly. Put two naan breads on the hot side of the grill and cook on each side about 1 minute.
- At this point you can slide the two breads to the cooler side of the grill and place the toppings on the pizza, or you can remove the naan from the grill to put the toppings on, whatever is easiest and most comfortable for you.
- Once bread has pizza toppings, close the lid and cook for about 5 minutes, until cheese is all melted. Remove from the grill and serve!
- If making more than 2 pizzas (I made 4 four our family of 5), repeat the process with 2 more naan breads.
- If using the oven:
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Place naan bread directly on the oven rack and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add pizza toppings to the naan breads. Place back in the oven, either directly on the oven rack or on a piece of foil on the oven rack. Cook for 8-10 minutes or so, until cheese is totally melted. Remove from the oven and serve!