The giveaway in this post is now closed, but keep reading for the succotash recipe!
This post is sponsored by Libby’s. All opinions are 100% my own, this recipe is delicious and there’s a sweet giveaway, so lots of goodness to be had!
I grew up on frozen corn. In fact, I don’t remember ever seeing canned corn in the house. I didn’t actually try canned corn until I was married, believe it or not, and I actually love it! Unlike frozen corn, I like how canned corn retains more of a crunch and has a nice sweet flavor. It’s one of my pantry staples for several recipes in my repertoire.
I have a new use for canned corn that I am especially loving: succotash! I was thinking about potential appetizers for Thanksgiving because I stink at Thanksgiving appetizers. I get so caught up in prepping the main meal that I forget to serve food earlier in the day. This recipe for corn succotash flatbreads is a perfect pre-Thanksgiving snack and I promise it’s easy to prepare.
I gave this particular succotash recipe a bit of a southwestern twist, replacing lima beans with black beans, adding tomatoes and bell peppers, as well as adding a bit of cumin and fresh cilantro. The corn is perfect for Thanksgiving but the cumin and cilantro offer a different flavor than any of the classic Thanksgiving foods you’ll be scarfing down later in the day. Just make sure you don’t fill up on succotash flatbreads – save room for turkey!
In addition to today’s recipe, Libby’s is offering up a great giveaway! One lucky, randomly-selected commenter will win a KitchenAid® 6-Quart Slow Cooker With Glass Lid plus an assortment of Libby’s products. I used Libby’s corn and black beans in today’s recipe and LOVE that they have organic canned goods! To enter the giveaway, please leave a comment on this post! Prize must be shipped to a U.S. address and comments need to be posted by Midnight PT on 11/26/14.
One last thing, Libby’s is hosting its Cansgiving sweepstakes through November 19. Participants must post a photo of what they are thankful for on Twitter, Instagram or Libby’s Table Facebook page using the hashtag #Cansgiving for the chance to win a $350 grocery gift card toward their Thanksgiving meals. You can view the full rules at www.getbacktothetable.com/
Get commenting to enter the giveaway and here is the recipe!
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion (about ¼ of an onion)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ of a red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 can corn
- ½ can black beans
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- Chopped avocado (optional)
- Flatbread crackers
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, which has been pushed through a garlic press, stir, then add corn and black beans and heat for a few minutes.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high, stir and cook for 1 minute to reduce some of the liquid.
- Reduce heat to medium again then add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and cumin. Stir and heat for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Serve succotash on flatbread crackers, topping with fresh parmesan cheese or avocado if desired.
- You can serve right away or store in fridge and serve cold.
Comment #15 Jen Schulte was the winner of this giveaway. Congrats, Jen!