Big thanks to Libby’s for sponsoring today’s post.
I’m starting to sound like a broken record this month, but I really love how the food around the holidays reminds me of loved ones and years past. It’s definitely the time of year that I turn to beloved family recipes the most.
Nate’s Gram Maynard didn’t cook much, but she had a few signature recipes that were pretty much perfect. Like potato salad – it was simple, reliable and perfectly flavored. And her homemade hot fudge was to die for. Another one of her recipes that we loved was her marinated 4-bean salad. It appeared at every family gathering and, even though Gram is no longer with us, the bean salad is always still on the table when we all get together. Just seeing that bowl of beans instantly reminds me of Gram.
Thankfully we have the recipe and can recreate the magic whenever we want. I love this 4-bean salad because it is beyond easy to throw together, has just the right amount of sweetness and goes with pretty much anything. Plus, for our family, every bite reminds us of Gram, which is especially welcome around the holidays.
- 1¼ cups canned wax beans
- 1¼ cup canned green beans
- 1 cup canned kidney beans
- ¾ cup canned chickpeas
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced into rings
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- ⅔ cup vinegar
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Drain al lof the canned beans
- In a large bowl combine the wax beans, green beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, onions and green peppers together.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over the bean mixture.
- Stir, cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Drain before serving.