Tuesday, October 5
On Sunday I was a in a dipping mood. I made hummus guacamole dip, spinach artichoke dip and apple toffee dip! It was almost like Super Bowl Sunday around here, except no football. Which I’m thinking some people might actually like. I mean, the food is the best part of a Super Bowl party, right? 😉
It’s been years since I made apple toffee dip, which is a pretty ubiquitous recipe. It was just as tasty as I remember it! Although, next time I’m adjusting some of the measurements, which I will make note of in the recipe below.
It’s apple season. Slice some apples. Make this dip. You’ll thank me.Apple Toffee Dip, the Perfect Autumn Treat!From…well…it’s just one of those classic recipes everyone has in their recipe box! I have added a few of my notes.Author: Jane MaynardRecipe type: DessertIngredients
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounce toffee bits (you can find these in the baking aisle – I would honestly only use 4 oz next time. That would have been the perfect ratio.)
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar (um, I would not firmly pack it…I think there was a little too much sugar in the recipe)
- ½ cup white sugar (again, I think I’ll do more like ⅓ cup next time, there was just a bit too much sugar, so it didn’t all dissolve)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
NotesJust a note on the toffee bits – I seriously think 8 oz is overkill. I love the toffee bits, but using the whole package was killer. In fact, I made ½ recipe more of the dip without the bits to help cut down, and I still think it was too many. 4 oz would be plenty!3.2.2646
- Beat the cream cheese, brown sugar, white sugar and vanilla extract with beaters until well blended. Stir in the toffee bits. Slice up your favorite apples and dip away! Granny Smith’s are my favorite…the sour with the sweet is simply scrumptious!
Thursday, September 9
I am sharing a GEM with you today. My mom got this recipe for Hummus Guacamole Dip from her good friend Jenny, of Jenny’s Green Salad fame. When my mom first described it to me, I must admit I was skeptical. Hummus WITH avocados? Hmmmm….but then I had it for the first time on the Cape this summer. Oh…my…goodness. It is delicioso. The flavors blend together so nicely. And the best part? It’s super duper healthy while also tasting like a very decadent dip.
I can have this stuff for lunch with some corn chips and be all set. Well, maybe not all set…since it tends to appear for afternoon snack time, and then again at dinner! I also served this at a pool party recently and EVERYONE was asking about the dip…when it was time to go home, the giant bowl was empty. See, I know what I’m talking about.Hummus Guacamole DipA healthy decadent dip!Author: Jane MaynardRecipe type: AppetizerIngredients
- Two 12oz pkgs of Guacamole (Jane’s Mom’s Note: of course I NEVER use packaged Guac (she smashes up a bunch of avocados))
- 1 Pint of Hummus w/roasted garlic (or any flavor you want)
- 1 15.5oz can black beans (slightly drained)
- Chunky mild/medium salsa (about a cup)
NotesSeveral notes from Jane: Above is the original, official recipe. I’ve actually never used it because I just got it from my mom. I HAVE eaten it and it WAS fabulous. I’ve made the dip blind twice and generally just threw the ingredients together with proportions that looked about right. I believe I did the following, or something close to this. This also makes a lot less if you don’t need dip for an entire army.
- Mix by hand and chill. Serve with whatever corn chips you like!
3 avocados, smashed up
8 oz hummus
1 can black beans (drained)
8 oz chunky or fresh salsa
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix by hand and chill. Serve with corn chips!3.2.2265
Wednesday, January 31Easy Veggie DipFrom Jane MaynardAuthor: Jane MaynardIngredients
- 1 16-oz container sour cream
- 1 packet Italian dressing seasoning mix
- Whip together. Serve with crudités, crackers or whatever you think would be good!