Wednesday, October 14
Two years ago I wrote a sponsored post for Campbell’s when they launched their new line of dinner sauces. The flavor I featured was the Sweet Korean BBQ. We LOVED it and I have used that Campbell’s product many times since I wrote that sponsored post. I have also gotten other people hooked on it. It’s really easy and delicious!
Well, I had Korean BBQ tacos on the menu a few weeks ago but could not for the life of me find the Campbell’s sauce at the store. But by that point I was totally craving the tacos and needed to figure out how to make them happen, even without help from Campbell’s.
So, I created a homemade version of Campbell’s Sweet Korean BBQ dinner sauce. I’m pretty sure when they paid me to write about their delicious sauce they weren’t anticipating this move, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? AND I still love their version of the sauce and highly recommend it. That said, if you want to make the sweet Korean BBQ sauce from scratch, now you can!
This Korean BBQ meat is tasty served simply over rice with a veggie on the side, but our favorite way to enjoy it is in tacos. Whenever we have the Korean BBQ tacos, every single person in the family eats all of their dinner. It’s miraculous and wonderful.
Here’s the best part about the homemade version of the sweet Korean BBQ: it is seriously EASY to make. It takes like 1 minute longer than the store bought version, bringing you to about 2 minutes of prep time total. Also, I’m 90% sure you already have most, if not all, of the ingredients in your kitchen, making this a great go-to dinner recipe.
Enjoy!Homemade Slow Cooker Sweet Korean BBQ BeefPrep timeCook timeTotal timeThis slow cooker beef is perfect served over rice or as tacos/burritos!Author: Jane MaynardServes: 6-12Ingredients
- 1½ - 3 pounds beef roast (chuck roast/chuck shoulder/round roast/rump roast/bottom round all work well!)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pushed through a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- When Served as an Entree, also cook jasmine rice
- For tacos: Flour tortillas, Quick Asian Slaw (see recipe below), Sour Cream, Hot Sauce (optional), Fresh Chopped Cilantro (optional)
- For burritos: Taco ingredients + cooked jasmine rice
NotesEach 1 pound of beef cooked will make about 6 generous tacos and would serve around 4 as an entree on rice.3.3.3070Quick Asian SlawPrep timeTotal timeI make this to top our Korean BBQ tacos!Author: Jane MaynardIngredients
- In your slow cooker pot, whisk together all of the ingredients except the roast.
- Place roast in the slow cooker, flip over, then cook on low for 7-8 hours, turning roast 2-4 times during cooktime.
- Serve on flour tortillas topped with sour cream and slaw, plus hot sauce and cilantro if using, to make tacos. Add rice to make burritos. WARNING: These tacos are very drippy, but it's worth the mess! As my 4-year-old Owen tells everyone, "Make sure you lean over your plate!" Wonder where he got that from...
- 1 16-ounce package cabbage-based coleslaw from the produce section at the store (plain cabbage or cabbage with carrots both work great!)
- ¼ cup white or rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced or pushed through a garlic press
- ½ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes optional)
- Whisk together all ingredients, except the coleslaw, in a large bowl. Add coleslaw, stir well.