Sunday, January 29
This recipe for Indian Tacos is pretty much a simplified version of my beloved Indian Burritos recipe. I seriously love those burritos, but the tacos involve a few less ingredients, which is welcome on a busy weeknight.
I can’t tell you how much I love these tacos. The tender tandoori chicken (don’t worry, I have a shortcut way to make it that does not involve a tandoor oven) topped with delicious Indian raita sauce and just a few simple vegetables is so tasty. It’s been a while since I’ve made these and really there is no good reason for that!Indian Tacos with Tandoori ChickenAuthor: Jane MaynardServes: 6 servingsIngredients
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 12 flour tortillas (smallest size you can find)
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- Raita sauce (recipe below)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- The night before: mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, ginger, coriander, salt, cayenne pepper, cardamom, cloves, and black pepper. Stab the 2 chicken breasts with a fork on all sides, then place in yogurt mixture. Let marinate overnight.
- The next day: Preheat oven to 450º F. Cook chicken in oven for ~20 minutes, or until juices run clear and internal temperature of the chicken reaches 160 F.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Sautee onion and pepper in a large frying pan over medium heat in canola oil, until veggies are softened.
- Top tortillas with tandoori chicken, grilled onions and peppers, red cabbage, raita sauce, and cilantro.
RaitaPrep timeTotal timeIndian cucumber-yogurt sauce.Author: Jane MaynardServes: 1 cupIngredients
- ½ cup cucumber, shredded
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onion
- ¼ teaspoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Pinch cardamom
- Peel and seed cucumber, then shred.
- Mix all ingredients together. Store in fridge and serve cold.